Monday, December 21, 2009

Daily Workouts

Daily workouts: Monday, December 21, 2009


One thing that I've been very religious about over the last 30 years or so is my daily workout. Now I know, that I used to be a professional athlete and it was part of my job description. But, one of the reasons I was able to perform at such a high level for so long is because I really disciplined myself with a solid regimen of daily workouts. Now that I'm in my 50s, I realized that moderation is the key to everything and that unless I'm competing for a “gold medal” and to show the world that I'm the best, I don't have to be quite so diligent and discipline, but just be content with myself to be the best that I can be. So, one of the things I do now is to be sure that my workout consists of a combination of good nutrition, stretching and flexibility, weightlifting and cardio. And when I say “daily”, it really doesn't have to be “daily”, but 4 - 5 times a week will suffice just as well.

One of the tricks that I used as a professional athlete was to at least show up at the gym and go through the routine even on those days where I really didn't feel like doing it. My coaches who were really in tune with the athletes would realize that even for top-flight athletes, it's hard to maintain that physical and emotional demand every single day of the season. So, on some occasions they would have us come in to the gym and forgo the taping of our ankles, and instead of sprinting up and down the basketball court, we would go at a pace just fast enough to get us loose and warmed up before calling it a day. By doing that, we were still able to keep our mental focus yet ease up on some of the physical demands.

So, I found myself doing such today on a rainy, dreary Monday morning here in Seattle Washington. I cut my workout down to about 45 minutes (instead of the usual 1 1/2 hours) and just did some light cardio, stretching, some ab/back work, chitchatted with the few friends (I have to get my social workout in too!), and called it good. That's good enough for today and I'll be right back out again tomorrow, most likely with a refreshed mental approach, and a body that's not running on empty.

Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind in your daily workout approach:

1 - don't make excuses, at least “make it to the gym” (it’s too easy to get out of the routine)

2 - even on those days you don't feel like working out, continue to “go through a shortened routine”

3 - don't feel guilty, at least “you made it” to the gym

4 - get your “social workout in”, because that will make you feel better about being there

5 - realize that you can get back into your regular routine tomorrow

6 - go out and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I realize that this post is old but I though I would comment anyway. You seem to keep in great shape by following a routine that is comfortable to you. I also have a routine, I'm a walker. I walk 2 hours a day and I usually have a destination that I walk to so that I am rewarded at the end. I don't know how far I walk, but my friends will not walk the entire way with me. I don't mind, I use this time to plan my life (smile). I use to have a personal trainer but we parted friends because he kept trying to get me to do things that I was uncomfortable with. For example: he wanted me to jump up on an unsecured,unstable bench,(uh,no). Then we had trouble with the weights, I kept developing trigger finger (ouch). So, as you can see it just did not work out. So, I am just doing my own workout program. I did want to ask you about being vegetarian (did I spell that right?). I am interested in changing my eating habits and I have read some on vegetarism but with so much information I cannot decide how to start. Any ideas for me? Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete