Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tiger Woods

As a former professional athlete myself and a person of high visibility in the community I'm used to living my life in the "public spotlight" and where just about every move and every word I utter is closely scrutinized. Athletes and other high visibility people understand this very well. For whatever reason, we as a society and community tend to elevate the status and value that athletes in other high visibility people have in our community. We almost forget, that they are people themselves.

I was in the grocery store this morning, and the grocery store checker who was scanning my items asked me what "I thought about Tiger". In this particular case, the checker is someone who has become a friend over the years, and felt comfortable enough to ask me this question. I can't begin to tell you, how many times people have stopped me in the streets or whispered something to me in meetings pertaining to Tiger Woods. I mentioned to my friend, the checker (who is a man), at the grocery store, that "Tiger did what most guys dream of doing if there weren't any consequences or repercussions for doing so". Now keep in mind, I mentioned that it was only "a dream", and that most guys know that there's no way that they can actually carry this out in real life. Matter-of-fact, I've been in many conversations in the last couple weeks in which guys are high-fiving themselves and whooping it up because they feel that at least Tiger had great taste and get involved with great-looking women. Tiger, just happened to try to carry out in real life and is going to pay a tremendous price for doing so. Not to mention, the impact is going to have on his family, wife and his young children. I don't condone Tigers' actions, and there's absolutely nothing right about what he did, especially due to the fact that he's a married man. That is the part of all this that most people don't take into account, that there is a young family that is going to be forever traumatized and impacted by his selfish and silly actions.

Athletes and people in high profile positions have always found themselves surrounded by tremendous temptations, be it to stray outside their marriages, or to abuse the power and privilege that they have, or to not live up to the responsibilities that go along with their heightened levels of status in society. I remember years ago, when Charles Barkley made a television commercial in which he stated "I am not a role model", and when tennis great Andre Agassi had a television commercial in which he mentioned "image is everything". I realize that these are just television commercials, but also have to realize the impact these messages have in insidiously spreading throughout our mindset and attitudes, especially of young people who were more greatly impacted than anyone else.

As an athlete, I too was faced with tremendous temptations just about every step of the way. I found that my best strategy in dealing with all temptations (be it alcohol, drugs, women, partying, money, etc.) was just to say "no" (in my case definitely "no" to alcohol and drugs) and to be seriously responsible with any other temptations and realizing that I had a high public profile and reputation as a positive male role model, and that along with that comes responsibility what I wanted it to or not. I continue that mindset to this day and for me (and I believe for everyone) the best way to conduct oneself is to think about the "big picture" and keep that in mind at all times.

This is been an exceptionally crazy year in which we see many many high profile people stumble about an abuse their positions and responsibilities in our community. We've seen elected officials, entertainers, athletes and community leaders of all sorts come tumbling down from the high perches which they occupy due to their indiscretions. None of us are perfect, and we as a community and the nation (and globally perhaps) are very forgiving. I do keep in mind, the old adage, "that to whom much is given, much is expected".

It's great to dream and fantasize, but most dreams and fantasies should remain "right there" and not be played out in real life especially when there are others around you who it will adversely impact.

My advice to Tiger, is to continue making strides towards making amends to your wife and family and children, and then to your adoring public, and then to get back out there and perform at the top of your game as a great role model an athlete that we've known you as over these years. None of us are perfect, and some of us will have a lot more temptations come away than others, but we all need to continue doing our best to be our best and that our actions generally carry serious consequences along with them.

I will continue to do my best to be a respected member of my communities. I realize, especially young people, look upon me as a former athlete and a very visible person in the community, and as someone who cares about them and their well-being. So be careful, and continue doing your best!

No comments:

Post a Comment