Sunday, March 24, 2013

James Donaldson Book Review: The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene *****

James Donaldson Book Review: The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene *****

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B002VA8IXS&qid=1364124567&sr=1-1

When I first read this book a couple years ago, it was so apropos for where I was in my life as I was going through a career change myself.  The book helped me to realize that harboring deep inside of me, was a lot of untapped potential and power that I've yet to utilize.  Ever since then, I've made it a point to implement several of the 48 Laws of Power into my daily life as I possibly can.  If nothing else, this book is a great "get off first base and start rounding the bases" book for anyone who feels that their life could use a little bit of a kickstart.

I thought that the author, Robert Greene, kept the book on track, simple, easy to follow and matter of factual.  Anyone who's willing to implement even 5 or 10 (you'll quickly find that The Laws naturally flow into each other and build upon each other) of these Laws of Power into their lives, won't be able to help themselves from making better decisions, and taking more control over their lives.  Yet, at the same time, living a very fulfilling existence as we all ought to do.  Of course, I don’t agree with every single one of the 48 Laws of Power (you’d have to be pretty callous, shallow and selfish to do so ), but it’s a great book to remind us of some of the things that we can do to maintain a sense of power and control in our lives when we feel we need it.  

I highly recommend this book as a great reference tool for your "toolbox kit of life"!

Here are some of my favorites of The 48 Laws of Power:

  • Never Outshine the Master
  • Always Say Less than Necessary
  • So Much Depends on Reputation – Guard it with your Life
  • Win through your Actions, Never through Argument
  • Infection: Avoid the Unhappy and Unlucky
  • Use Absence to Increase Respect and Honor
  • Do Not Build Fortresses to Protect Yourself – Isolation is Dangerous
  • Re-Create Yourself
  • Plan All the Way to the End
  • Make your Accomplishments Seem Effortless
  • Be Royal in your Own Fashion: Act like a King to be treated like one
  • Master the Art of Timing
  • Despise the Free Lunch

Standing_above_the_crowd_postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment