Sunday, March 13, 2022

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth - Talking Is Key To #MentalHealth. Take The Opportunity To Talk To Your #Kids This Week.
Amy Schwabe, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Talking with #children about their feelings is a key component to improving #mentalhealth.

I can't tell you how happy I was to wake up to a snow day on Tuesday. Because I didn't want to drive on the icy streets to take my #daughter to #school? Yes. Because I got an extra hour of sleep after telling my kids the good news? Also yes. But, mostly, I was happy because it was exactly what my 17-year-old #daughter needed. She struggles with #anxiety when she feels she isn't studying hard enough and getting good enough grades. While I've often told her she doesn't have to be physically sick to take a #mentalhealthday, she never wants to take a day off because that just means she'll have to catch up when she gets back to #school. That's why snow days are so beautiful. She got to sleep late, watch TV and play video games with her sister all day, and put schoolwork completely out of her mind.

#JamesDonaldson notes:

Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.

Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.

Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticle

Something to do with your #kids

We all need those breaks in our lives to preserve our #mentalhealth. That's especially true as we enter the third year of a #pandemic that has highlighted the #mentalhealthcrisis our #children are dealing with. I've written a bit about my own family's journey toward better #mentalhealth, and one thing I've learned is how important it is to sit down and talk to our #kids about what they're experiencing and to really listen to what they're trying to tell us.

A few more things to do with your #kids

Are you excited for Mardi Gras, otherwise known as Fat Tuesday, otherwise known as Paczki Day? Here's what to know about those oh-so-delicious doughnuts, and here's where to go to get some on Tuesday.

Speaking of food, now is a good time to think about the delicious fresh produce you can eat when spring and summer arrive. Here's information about joining a CSA and where you can order CSA boxes.

Cooking with #kids is a great way to fill your time. Here are some cookbooks for novice cooks if you need some inspiration.

Something to make you think

This report card on the state of #mentalhealth in our nation's #children was just released, and, not surprisingly, the results are bleak. One of the most unsettling findings is that #schools throughout the country — including in Wisconsin — are failing pretty miserably at educating #students on the importance of #mentalhealth. The good news is that there are models for doing better from a few states.

Something to make you smile

I'm smiling because it's almost fish fry season. I know that's a very Wisconsin thing to be happy about. But, when I really think about it, I'm not sure why it's such a Wisconsin thing. This article can help explain.

Contact Amy Schwabe at (262) 875-9488 or amy.schwabe@jrn.com. Follow her on Twitter at @WisFamilyJS, #Instagram at @wisfamilyjs or #Facebook at WisconsinFamily.

This article originally appeared on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Talk to #kids about #mentalhealth

Photo by samer daboul on Pexels.com
https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2022/03/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-talking-is-key-to-mentalhealth-take-the-opportunity-to-talk-to-your-kids-this-week/

No comments:

Post a Comment