Saturday, March 5, 2022

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth - Always An Adventure: #Mental Oil Change
Nakeshia Shannon

Mechanics recommend getting your oil changed in your car every 3,000 miles. Routine maintenance checks ensure the longevity of your purchase. They show you the signs to look for every day with your particular vehicle. Just in case they happen, you’ll know how to respond and hopefully fix it.

When was the last time you had a #mental oil change as a #parent? Life itself can be very draining – long hours at work, picking your #children up from daycare or #school only to receive 10,000 questions per child, fast food, and new toy requests, like they don’t have them at home.

As a #parent, I’ve realized that my #mentalhealth needs to take priority. Sometimes I need a few hours not to be in work or #parent mode. I could get my nails done, get lunch with a friend, sit outside somewhere in the back of my car in the middle of an empty field, enjoying nature while writing or reading. Sometimes I feel like imposter syndrome as a #parent takes over. I compare myself to my #socialmedia timeline of Pinterest moms.

My favorite “me time” adventure is speaking with my #therapist to make sure that my “check engine light” isn’t on and that I can communicate with myself and others positively by managing expectations and #stress levels. Routine maintenance for my #mentalhealth ensures that I can be a better version of myself and a better for my family.

Sometimes we’ve got to take the adventure solo.

Nakeshia Shannon is a photographer and mother of three. Visit her online at NakeshiaRenee.com.

This article originally appeared on Asheville Citizen Times: Always an Adventure: #Mental Oil Change

#JamesDonaldson notes:

Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.

Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.

Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticle
https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2022/03/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-always-an-adventure-mental-oil-change/

No comments:

Post a Comment