Thursday, April 13, 2023

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – The Tragedy Of #Black #Youth #Suicide
#Black #children ages 5 to 12 are twice as likely to die by #suicide as their #White peers, and #Black #teen #suicides are growing at shocking rates. What’s going on, and what can be done to help save young #Black lives?

By Arielle H. Sheftall, PhD

Editor’s note: The opinions expressed by the author do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the AAMC or its members.

Get Help

If you are thinking about #suicide, worried about someone else, or in need of emotional support, call or text the #Suicide&CrisisLifeline at #988.

When I was 14, my mother passed away after a long battle with breast cancer that had metastasized to the bone. My mother was my best friend, and losing her at this young age was devastating. In addition to the personal loss, almost everything in my world changed. I moved in with my grandmother while my brother moved to North Carolina to live with our father.

I increasingly felt lonely and hopeless. I fell deeper and deeper into #depression, spiraling into a dark, dark place. I began to suffer from #suicidalthoughts.

Thankfully, my grandmother noticed the changes. Thinking it would be easier for me to talk with someone closer to my age, she asked my 21-year-old cousin to check on me. My cousin said that though she and my grandmother couldn’t understand exactly how I was feeling, they wanted to help. Her compassion helped me feel safe enough to share that I was experiencing #suicidalthoughts. A wise woman, my grandmother called my #pediatrician to get a referral for a #therapist.

The author on her 8th birthday with her mother.

I remember that during my first two therapy sessions, all I did was cry. The #therapist simply assured me it was OK to feel the way I was feeling. During our sessions, I learned skills to help with my dark moments, skills that were vital as the dark moments did not disappear for some time. I still use these skills to this day to help navigate life’s challenges.

I am so grateful that my grandmother and cousin intervened. I am here today because they saw that I was struggling and acted immediately. Unfortunately, this is not always the case for the many #Black #youth whose lives are lost to #suicide every single day.

As a researcher focused on #Black #youth #suicide and a person who identifies as #biracial, my heart hurts knowing that so many #Black #youth are dying from a preventable cause.

#James Donaldson notes:Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticleOrder your copy of James Donaldson's latest book,#CelebratingYourGiftofLife:From The Verge of Suicide to a Life of Purpose and Joy

www.celebratingyourgiftoflife.com

#Suicide rates among #Black #youth in the #UnitedStates are growing at an alarming rate. From 2018 to 2021, the #racial group that saw the largest increase in #suicides among people 10-24 years old was #Black individuals, with an increase of 37%. From 2000 to 2020, #Black #youth ages 10-19 also experienced the largest increase in #suiciderates, a shocking 78%. And in a research study among the youngest #children — ages 5-12 — #Black #youth were approximately two times more likely to die by #suicide than their #White counterparts. #Black #students also had a higher rate of #suicideattempts when compared to their #White and #Hispanic counterparts. In other worrisome trends, #suiciderates are also growing among other #childrenofcolor, as well as among #youth who identify as #LGBTQ+.

As a researcher focused on #Black #youth #suicide and a person who identifies as #biracial, my heart hurts knowing that so many #Black #youth are dying from a preventable cause and that little is known about how to help stop these trends from escalating.

One factor that has been shown to be related to #youth #suicide is #adversechildhoodexperiences (#ACEs) such as domestic violence, #financial hardship, or losing a #parent. Unfortunately, #Black #youth are more likely than their counterparts to be overrepresented in environments where #ACEs occur, including (but not limited to) low-income neighborhoods and the foster care system.

#Youthofcolor also bear the tremendous burdens of #racialdiscrimination, which is associated with #suicidalbehaviors. Studies suggest that feeling discriminated against can occur as young as six years of age for #Black #youth, and #Black #adolescents who perceive #racialdiscrimination are more than three times more likely to experience #suicidalthoughts, make #suicide plans, and attempt #suicide than those who do not.

What’s more, experiences of #racism in the medical system often contribute to #Black families’ unwillingness to seek treatment for #mentalhealthconditions that can lead to #suicidalbehaviors. In addition, implicit biases can lead to the misclassification of #mentalhealthconcerns experienced by #Black #children. For example, #Black #youth are sometimes assessed as having a #behavioralproblem, rather than having a #mentalhealthconcern.

It will not be easy to reduce the rates of #Black #youth #suicide. What has been done thus far is not working, and we now need everyone vested in the problem to come to the table. Researchers, clinicians, policymakers, community leaders — and #Black #youth themselves — need to address the problem together.

We need more research into possible causes of #suicidalbehaviors among #Black #youth. We also need this research to be informed by community leaders and #Black #youth themselves since they best understand which questions researchers need to ask and how. It’s important that we test current theories of #suicide to determine whether they apply to #Black #youth or instead need to be adjusted in some way — or even changed completely.

In addition, we need to research and implement more and better #suicideprevention programming for #Black #youth. Implementation scientists, clinicians, and #school personnel can help as we work to strengthen the protective factors that are particular to this population. For example, my colleagues and I recently found that nearly 40% of #Black #youth had a relationship crisis with a boyfriend or girlfriend, family member, or friend before their #suicide death, and 30% had an argument within 24 hours of their death. Providing conflict resolution tools to work through relationship crises could be one way to help lower #suiciderisk among #Black #youth.

Finally, we need to address our #mentalhealthprofessional workforce, including the insufficient number of individuals of color available to provide care. For example, 86% of U.S. #psychologists are #White. One way to diversify the workforce is to implement initiatives in middle and #highschools that promote #mentalhealthprofessions to #students, getting them excited about pursuing such careers and showing them how to do so.

For #mentalhealthproviders in training and those already in practice, we need education in cultural humility and structural competency so they can better understand the many factors that fuel# #suicidalbehaviors and point to #suiciderisk in #Black #youth. For instance, one factor associated with #Black #youth #suicidalbehaviors is attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (#ADHD). If #mentalhealthprofessionals focus solely on #depression or #anxietydisorders as risk factors, they may overlook #Black #youth at high risk for #suicide due to other risks such as #ADHD and #ACEs.

All these steps are necessary if we are going to help the many #youthofcolor who feel their lives are not worth living.

When in the dark space where #suicidalthoughts emerge, #loneliness and #hopelessness can seem unbearable. I know too well how that feels, but the therapy I received and my loving family members helped me see another way.

I miss my mother and will do so every single day for the rest of my life. Still, I am comforted that my mother would be proud of the work I do that focuses on helping others. I am determined to ensure that young #peopleofcolor know it is possible to get through their lowest valleys and toughest hours. It will be hard work, but worth every single step taken.
https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2023/04/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-the-tragedy-of-black-youth-suicide/

No comments:

Post a Comment