Tuesday, August 1, 2023

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – Late #SinéadO'Connor Was Open With #MentalHealthStruggles, #BipolarDisorder Diagnosis

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – Late #SinéadO'Connor Was Open With #MentalHealthStruggles, #BipolarDisorder Diagnosis

The late Irish singer was very transparent about her #mental and physical health



By Chrissy Callahan



This story discusses #suicide. If you or someone you know is in crisis, call or text #988 to reach the #SuicideandCrisisLifeline. You can also text HOME to 741741 or visit SpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources for additional resources.



After a successful career that spanned multiple decades, #SinéadO’Connor has passed away at the age of 56.



News of the musician's death broke on Wednesday, but an official cause of death has not been released yet.



O'Connor's family shared the following statement with The BBC and Irish broadcaster RTE: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”  



Sinead O'Connor, 1992#SineadO'Connor, 1992Crispin Rodwell / Shutterstock

Throughout her career, the “Nothing Compares 2 U” singer was open about the various health struggles she experienced, many of which were related to #mentalhealth.



O'Connor had #bipolardisorder



In 2007, the star spoke about her #bipolardisorder during an appearance on "The #OprahWinfrey Show” and said she experienced thoughts of #suicide and overwhelming fear before her diagnosis nearly four years beforehand.



“It’s like being a bucket with holes in it. Just leaking tears from every pore,” she said.



At the time, O'Connor was taking mood stabilizing and antidepressant medications. She told Winfrey they helped, but added that she was a "work in progress."



“I’m not going to sit here and claim that I’m kind of perfect or anything. Anything is an improvement when you’ve been in desolation ... to be out of that place is brilliant. It doesn’t mean you don’t have lumps and bumps,” she said.



Over the years, O'Connor was forthcoming about the effect her condition had on her career. In 2012, she canceled her tour, explaining that she was “very unwell due to #bipolardisorder.” The same year, she sought treatment for #depression.



In 2017, the Irish singer spoke openly about her #mentalhealth and #suicidalthoughts in an emotional video, claiming that her family had abandoned her.



“Why are we alone?” she said. “People who suffer from #mentalillness are the most vulnerable people on Earth. You’ve got to take care of us. We’re not like everybody.”



The star also encouraged her fans to check in on anyone in their lives who might be struggling.



“If you have a family member that suffers from #mentalillness, care for them, tenderness, love, care for them. Visit them in the hospital, don’t dump them in the hospital and bugger off,” she said.



O'Connor was hospitalized last year after her son died



In January 2022, O’Connor was hospitalized just days after her 17-year-old son Shane died. As reported by #CNN at the time, the singer sought medical care after posting a series of alarming #Twitter posts claiming that she planned to die by #suicide.



“I’ve decided to follow my son. There is no point living without him. Everything I touch, I ruin. I only stayed for him. And now he’s gone,” O'Connor shared via an unverified #Twitter account that was linked to her account.



Later on, the star added to her tweets and apologized, admitting that she "shouldn't have said that."



"I am with #cops now on way to hospital. I’m sorry I upset everyone,” she wrote. “I am lost without my #kid and I hate myself. Hospital will help a while. But I’m going to find Shane. This is just a delay.”



#James Donaldson notes:
Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.
Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.
Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.
  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticle
Find out more about the work I do on my 501c3 non-profit foundation
website www.yourgiftoflife.org Order your copy of James Donaldson's latest book,
#CelebratingYourGiftofLife: From The Verge of Suicide to a Life of Purpose and Joy


Book

www.celebratingyourgiftoflife.com

O'Connor experienced #PTSD from #childhood abuse



O'Connor's memoir, "Rememberings," published in 2021, dives into the #physicalabuse she endured from her mother as a #child.



"I won the prize in kindergarten for being able to curl up into the smallest ball, but my #teacher never knew why I could do it so well," she wrote in the book.



In a 2021 interview with the New York Times, O'Connor offered the following insight into her experience as a #child.



“#Childabuse is an identity crisis and fame is an identity crisis, so I went straight from one identity crisis into another,” she said.



In an interview with TODAY's Carson Daly in 2021, O'Connor explained how she still lived with the #trauma of her #childhood.



“I suffer from a condition called complex #posttraumaticstressdisorder, from things that I went through growing up,” she said.



While talking with Carson, O'Connor recalled an iconic moment when she tore up a photo of Pope John Paul II in 1992 while appearing on “Saturday Night Live.” The photo belonged to the star's mother, and she explained that it was a therapeutic experience since she had been so abusive during her #childhood.



“It was a way of ripping her up, as well, I guess,” she said.



O'Connor spoke out about the challenges she faced following a hysterectomy 



In 2015, O'Connor underwent a radical hysterectomy in an attempt to manage her endometriosis. While speaking with People in 2021, the star said the procedure and the subsequent menopause that came afterwards was very challenging to experience.



“When I had the surgery, I was terribly triggered,” she said.



The star visited several #psychiatric facilities in the years following the procedure, and she opened up to People about her #mentalhealthstruggles.



“You can never predict what might trigger the (#PTSD). I describe myself as a rescue dog: I’m fine until you put me in a situation that even slightly smells like any of the #trauma I went through, then I flip my lid,” she said. “I manage very well because I’ve been taught brilliant skills. There was a lot of therapy. It’s about focusing on the things that bring you peace as opposed to what makes you feel unstable.”



Sinead O'Conner
https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2023/08/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-late-sineadoconnor-was-open-with-mentalhealthstruggles-bipolardisorder-diagnosis/

No comments:

Post a Comment