Tuesday, August 15, 2023

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – New App For #Men Helps Remove #Stigma Around #MentalHealth Conversations

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – New App For #Men Helps Remove #Stigma Around #MentalHealth Conversations

#Men commit more than 80% of #suicides





Statistics from #MentalHealth America show #men commit more than 80% of #suicides.



By Ta'Niyah Jordan



LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - According to the experts, #mentalillness is a public health crisis here in the United States. However, #men don’t usually talk about their #mentalhealthstruggles, leading to an increased rate of #malesuicides.



Here in Michigan, #suiciderates are much higher for #men than for #women. In 2020, 1,389 people died by #suicide -- #men accounted for 1,099 of #suicide deaths in the same year.



Statistics from #MentalHealth America show #men commit more than 80% of #suicides.



#James Donaldson notes:
Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.
Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.
Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.
  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticle
Find out more about the work I do on my 501c3 non-profit foundation
website www.yourgiftoflife.org Order your copy of James Donaldson's latest book,
#CelebratingYourGiftofLife: From The Verge of Suicide to a Life of Purpose and Joy


Book

www.celebratingyourgiftoflife.com

Experts agree that conversations about men’s #mentalhealth help remove the #stigma and save lives.



“I realized that I was so alone – or I felt so alone...” #Mentalhealth author and speaker, Jason Wood, uses his own experience with #mentalillness to help other #men feel comfortable talking about their struggles.



“I was going through my battle because there weren’t a lot of other #men out there talking about their experience with an #eatingdisorder in particular.”



Wood said #eatingdisorders are the second deadliest #mentalillness. His #eatingdisorder, unfortunately, led to other issues. “I began to withdraw from social situations.” Something Wood said he wasn’t talking about.



“There was also my #anxiety that was keeping me from social situations as well. So, that was a very isolating factor. Mentally, I was just really, really low on myself. I had a low #self-worth.”



Like Wood, men’s #mentalhealthadvocate Anson Whitmer said #mentalhealthstruggles haunted two of his family members. That experience led Whitmer to create an app for #men. It’s called Mental.



“I lost both my uncle and my cousin on different sides of the family to #suicide. And I knew that at least one of them tried to reach out for help and didn’t resonate with any of the solutions out there,” said Whitmer.



He said the app helps #men beat #stress, build discipline, and find purpose. Whitmer said most #mentalhealthsupport focuses on #women and #children. “No one really is connecting with #men.”



Whitmer said “one report says there’s 10 to 20,000 #mentalhealth apps out there and not a single one is built for #men.” He said while #men make up 80% of #suicides, “if we don’t figure out a way to get through to #men we will never bring down the #suicidecrisis.”



According to #MentalHealth America, more people are reporting #mentalhealthconcerns but only 28% were able to find care.




https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2023/08/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-new-app-for-men-helps-remove-stigma-around-mentalhealth-conversations/

No comments:

Post a Comment