Wednesday, June 7, 2023

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – “It’s Ok To Not Be Ok,” Help And Resources Available For #MentalHealth
 Lee Williams

COLUMBIA, SC (WOLO) — According to the #NationalAllianceonMentalIllness, one in five #adults will experience a #mentalhealth issue this year.

Jessica Barnes, Program Manager for the Office of #SuicidePrevention with the SC Department of Mental Health, says #MentalHealthAwarenessMonth should remind everyone that it’s okay to talk about your #mentalhealth,  and it’s okay to not be okay.

“The more that we talk about it, and we say I think I need a break or I need to do some self care for myself, we are setting a good example for other people who might be hesitant to say I can’t do this right now, I need to work on me,” says Barnes.

Barnes finds it can be hard for people to open up about their feelings, so if changes are noticed in a loved one’s #behavior or personality, Barnes says that may be your invitation to open up communication with them.

“You don’t have to have all the answers. I think sometimes people get scared that they have to be there to help solve things or know exactly what to say, and you don’t have to have all the answers, or know the exact next thing to say, and that’s normal,” Barnes says.

#James Donaldson notes:Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticleFind out more about the work I do on my 501c3 non-profit foundationwebsite www.yourgiftoflife.org                            Order your copy of James Donaldson's latest book,#CelebratingYourGiftofLife:From The Verge of Suicide to a Life of Purpose and Joy

 
www.celebratingyourgiftoflife.com

Barnes believes showing empathy and listening are the best things folks can do to help others.

“Listening to somebody who is struggling with #mentalhealth, with intense emotions, with even just stressors going on in their life, listening can go such a long way. And if you’re listening to them if you’re hearing them in an empathetic way and trying to think about how you would feel if you were going through what they’re going through, you’re helping that person,” Barnes says.

According to Barnes, South Carolina’s Mobile Crisis Team is available anytime by calling 833-364-2274. The #NationalSuicidePreventionLifeline is also available by dialing 9-8-8 on your phone. South Carolina’s Crisis Textline is also available by texting Hope4SC to 741741. Other resources available with the SC Department of Mental Health can be viewed by clicking.

“There is hope, so if you’re struggling right now or you know somebody who is struggling, our state motto is while I breathe I hope and we can help build that hope,” Barnes says.
https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2023/06/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-its-ok-to-not-be-ok-help-and-resources-available-for-mentalhealth/

No comments:

Post a Comment