Sunday, June 11, 2023

#JamesDonaldson On #MentalHealth – #LGBTQ+ #Teens Tend To Suffer More From #MentalIllness And #SuicideIdeation, Study Shows
Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Pexels.com

By Ayanna Likens, KSL-TV

#LGBTQ #teens tend to suffer more from #mentalillness and #suicideideation, study shows

SALT LAKE CITY — #Teens across the #UnitedStates are struggling more and more with #mentalillness and #suicideideation, especially #LGBTQ+ #teens.

According to a recent #CentersforDiseaseControlandPrevention study, in 2021, almost half of #LGBQ+ #students seriously considered attempting #suicide, nearly 1 in 4 attempted #suicide and nearly 3 in 4 reported persistent feelings of sadness or #hopelessness.

#James Donaldson notes:Welcome to the “next chapter” of my life… being a voice and an advocate for #mentalhealthawarenessandsuicideprevention, especially pertaining to our younger generation of students and student-athletes.Getting men to speak up and reach out for help and assistance is one of my passions. Us men need to not suffer in silence or drown our sorrows in alcohol, hang out at bars and strip joints, or get involved with drug use.Having gone through a recent bout of #depression and #suicidalthoughts myself, I realize now, that I can make a huge difference in the lives of so many by sharing my story, and by sharing various resources I come across as I work in this space.  #http://bit.ly/JamesMentalHealthArticleFind out more about the work I do on my 501c3 non-profit foundationwebsite www.yourgiftoflife.org                            Order your copy of James Donaldson's latest book,#CelebratingYourGiftofLife:From The Verge of Suicide to a Life of Purpose and Joy

www.celebratingyourgiftoflife.com

"I think as #adults, we need to do a better job of supporting #LGBTQ+ #youth," said Jessica Holzbauer, a #therapist at Huntsman #MentalHealthInstitute.

Holzbauer said one way we can support #LGBTQ+ #youth is by using their preferred pronouns.

"If individuals are called by their preferred pronouns, we see a 65% decrease in #suicideattempts," she said.

Jay Evans is a #transgender #teen. He said without that recognition of his pronouns, he feels lost.

"I feel like there's no hope," Evans said. "I feel like I'm just going to be this person that I'm not for the rest of my life, and I'm never going to be seen as who I am."

According to that same #CDC study, in 2021 more than 1 in 10 #LGBQ+ #students did not go to #school because of safety concerns; nearly 1 in 4 experienced #sexualviolence and nearly 1 in 4 were #bullied at #school.

Evans said he too has been #bullied at #school.

"People just don't understand it, so they #bully you for it," Evans said.

Evans said he was able to find a safe space at his #highschool, on his color guard and band team.

"Regardless of who you are, you are welcome in that family," he said.

He said he also finds safety in the #youth space at the Utah Pride Center, which offers resources like a queer closet, where you can dress in whatever clothes you feel most comfortable in.

"Seeing yourself as you in clothing that fits you ... it's the little bit of hope that everyone needs," Evans said.

The center also offers activities for #youth each day, peer to peer support groups, and support groups for #youth and their #parents.

"It makes me feel like I'm not alone and I have other people I can reach out to and have people like me I can hang out with," Evans said.

For more information on the Utah Pride Center and its resources, visit its website.

#Suicideprevention resources

If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of #suicide, call #988 to connect with the #988SuicideandCrisisLifeline.

Crisis Hotlines

- Huntsman #MentalHealth Institute Crisis Line: 801-587-3000

- SafeUT Crisis Line: 833-372-3388

- #988SuicideandCrisisLifeLine at #988

- #TrevorProject Hotline for #LGBTQ #teens: 1-866-488-7386

Online resources

- #NAMI Utah: namiut.org

- SafeUT: safeut.org

- #SuicidePreventionLifeline: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

- #AmericanFoundationforSuicidePrevention, Utah chapter: afsp.org/chapter/utah

Photos

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Pexels.com
https://standingabovethecrowd.com/2023/06/jamesdonaldson-on-mentalhealth-lgbtq-teens-tend-to-suffer-more-from-mentalillness-and-suicideideation-study-shows/

No comments:

Post a Comment