Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Standing Above the Crowd Chapter Summaries and Excerps - Chapter 3: - Goal Setting: Aim High, Shoot Straight

Goal setting is important, but it also can be fun. When you’re passionate about a goal, you have a reason to get up in the morning. When you know that the day ahead of you will be filled with wonderful opportunities, you can see yourself making progress as you march toward your goals.

Our goals may not always bring about the results we initially envisioned, but they will still get us closer to what we want and we will have wonderful opportunities along the way. For example, remember my goal when I was a rookie in the NBA to play until I was forty years old? Back in 1980 when I set that goal, no one played until that age. With the average NBA career being only three years, few NBA players could foresee themselves playing past their mid-thirties, and perhaps as a result of not thinking it was likely to happen, few of the players ever did play past that age. It’s a funny thing, but when the mind starts telling you certain things (negative or positive), your body has a way of just following along. So if you’re in your mid-thirties and tell yourself you’re old and washed up, you probably will be.

I ended up playing professional basketball until I was forty-two years old. I played fourteen years in the NBA, and six years overseas. That’s a twenty-year professional basketball career. It wasn’t exactly the way I thought I would spend the last six years of my career. At the time, I didn’t appreciate the experience my time overseas would give me. My ego and pride kept me wishing I had played all twenty years in the NBA. But now when I reflect upon the wonderful opportunities basketball gave me, I’m grateful I spent six years traveling through Europe and other countries.

Cover_Copy_-_James.pdf Download this file


James Donaldson’s - Standing Above the Crowd book is now available in ebook format! You'll find it on Amazon (just tpye my name into the search bar)

Of course, to order your own personally autographed copy for only $19.95, please go to www.StandingAboveTheCrowd.com and James Donaldson will personally autograph your book to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment