Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Standing Above the Crowd Chapter Summaries and Excerps - Chapter 9: - Never Be Satisfied

As we went down to Los Angeles to play our weekend set of games against UCLA and USC, we were actually favored to come back with a couple of victories. Coach Raveling did his best to prepare us to return with victory in hand. I was at the top of my game and was a vital part of our team’s success with my rebounding, shot-blocking, and defending.

We got down to Los Angeles and opened up our weekend series against USC. I guess the bottom fell out from there.

Coach Pugliese, still staring into my eyes, told me I had played that way because I’d become “satisfied.” He told me flat out, “James, you became satisfied. You became satisfied with where you are at this stage in your development as a student athlete. What you don’t realize is that you have a long way to go if you’re going to be successful at this game and in life. You became satisfied!” He held out his hands, and in a very stereotypical Italian fashion, gestured wildly, demonstrating where I was (holding one hand about waist-high) and where I needed to be (holding his other hand over his head).

To this day, I’ve never forgotten that lesson. I’ve carried it throughout my life into every endeavor I approach. In the back of my head and in all my endeavors, Coach Pugliese’s words constantly resonate, “Never be satisfied!”

Cover_Copy_-_James.pdf Download this file


James Donaldson’s - Standing Above the Crowd book is now available in ebook format! You'll find it on Amazon (just type my name into the search bar)

Of course, to order your own personally autographed copy for only $19.95, please go to www.StandingAboveTheCrowd.com and James Donaldson will personally autograph your book to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment